Thursday, June 2, 2016

Waterfalls and Elephants: The Breathtaking Wonder of Christ in the Gospel of John

After my second year in college, I decided to work with Adventures in Missions for a summer in Kentucky. This was an incredibly valuable and formative experience for me. Other than just gaining "ministry experience," that summer was when I really began to "fall in love" with God. Before that time, I was more or less comfortable with him, and had a decent relationship going on. But it was through experiencing the breathtaking beauty of his creation in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee, that I really began to genuinely love God with all my heart, and appreciate the wonder and mystery of who He is.

I remember one moment in particular. I had gotten a tip from a local nature enthusiast about a waterfall up in the hills that was supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, but it was really off the beaten path and most people (even a lot of the locals) didn't know about it. There was no sign for the hiking trail that would take you to the falls. Just a spot to pull off the road and a lightly traveled path plunging into the forest. 

After a 3 or 4 mile hike back in the wilderness (and out of screaming distance from civilization!) I started to hear it. The refreshing sound of gallons of water slapping rock. I came around a bend in the path, and there it was! A 50 foot waterfall, pristine and undomesticated. There were no fences or signs saying, "Do not climb" or "Please clean up after your pets" or anything like that. Since there was clearly no one else around, I took off my shirt and stood under the pummeling torrent of rushing water -- whoooeee! That was cold! I just took it all in: the beauty, the sounds, the smells, the texture of the rock wall behind the curtain of water. And I just uttered from somewhere deep within my soul, "Lord, your creation is so amazing." And if that is how amazing the creation is, imagine how amazing the Creator must be? The artist who dreamed this place up?

As I finally reached my car again around sunset after the long hike back, I couldn't help but be in awe of the God who made this amazing place, that apparently so few even knew about and appreciated!

It is often said that the Gospel of John is shallow enough for a child to wade in it, yet deep enough to drown an elephant.This gospel account is rich in symbolism, double-meanings, and ironies, that even some of the most advanced scholars sometimes miss or fail to appreciate.

In my experience studying this book in depth so far, I have found it to be a treasure trove of powerful insights and breathtaking wonders -- like discovering a secret waterfall in some old back country hiking trail that's off the beaten path. And I've only begun to scratch the surface of its richness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment